Friday, August 17, 2012

20 Questions of Questionable Importance & Interest

So a pair of constant wargame-blog entertainers, Ray & Angry Lurker decided to toss 20 questions at each other more or less related to wargaming and since they're encouraging everyone else to jump in I figured I might as well.  It's less painful than jumping off that bridge my mom kept asking if I'd jump off of if everyone else was doing it, so why not?

You probably are familiar with these two, if not you should visit their blogs- often.
Their bicker-banter is always entertaining. They work as guards at the same place, and so I tend to picture them thus:


But hearing their verbal sparring I think it's closer to this:


So, are the questions & my answers of interest or importance?  I don't know.. let's find out!

On to the Questions!


1.        Favorite Wargaming period and why?

* Very tough question.  There are so many I like and have interest in.  But if I must chose one I'd probably say 'Fantasy'.  Not technically a period, since it isn't historical, but I love the wide range of possibilities it offers. 

2.       Next period, money no object?

* Hmmm... well if you're going to tempt me... Medieval: Hundred Years War... complete with castles, towns, muddy ruins, siege equipment and everything. I've always wanted to do this period, but I'd want to research it all, get all the heraldry accurate- a huge investment in time. 

3.       Favorite 5 films?

* Not sure this is an exact order...

1. Last of the Mohicans
2. Lord of the Rings (all 3 counting as 1)
3. Henry V (Brannaugh version)
4. Harold & Maude
5. Bad Santa

4.       Favorite 5 TV series?

* Again, can't be possitive about the order... 

1. Battlestar Galactica (newer series)
2. Mystery Science Theater 3000
3. Game of Thrones
4. Lost
5. The Tudors

5.       Favorite book and author?

* Favorite series: J.R.R.Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings
* Favorite single book: George Orwell: 1984

6.       Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!

* Not an easy question.  A lot of the 'greats' had overwhelming technological and resource advantages, like Ceasar... kind of stacking the deck in your favor before it starts. I'll give it to Ghenghis Khan. 

7.       Favorite Wargames rules?

* Not a 'wargame' per se, but I'll go with Blood Bowl!  Never get tired of this game!

8.       Favorite Sport and team?

* That's easy: None & None.  Just about no interest in sports and I'm philosophically opposed to professional sports. 

9.       If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?

* As much as I'd like to go to over a thousand different time-spots in the past, if I could only use it once, I'd go to the future... how far? tough question... maybe 1250 years. I want to know how things turn out, but not so far that I'd be unable to understand anything.  maybe bring back a fusion battery and a 'history book' to make things better and rewrite the time line.

10.   Last meal on Death Row?

* Pepperoni pizza. Chocolate sundae for desert.  
 Although... if the bastards are going to kill me, maybe a massive pot of chili.  Kill me and I'm leaving a serious mess for you to clean up.  Serves 'em right. 

11.    Fantasy relationship and why?

* I'm living the fantasy! My girlfriend/fiancee/one-I'm-going-to-marry, however you'd like to phrase it, is hands-down the best woman for me I've ever known or could imagine.  Fun, funny, smart, beautiful, supportive, good, and 120% life concentrated down into one human.  
Cheesy or not, even in 'fantasy' I pick her. 


12.   If your life were a movie, who would play you?

* John Cusack.  Similar features and cadence of voice and slight reserved demeanor, and been told that's the celebrity closest in appearance more often than any other. And since it's pretty common that actors are better looking than the people they play, I won't feel bad about picking someone not bad looking.. if he can play Poe (there's a sorry mug) there's no issue with him playing me. 
Edgar Poe, 1848 daguerreotype

13.   Favorite Comic  Superhero?

* I wasn't really into comic superheroes as a kid.  But I think Batman is the coolest.  No super powers, nothing magical or special, just will & cleverness. 

14.   Favorite Military quote?

"If you're going through Hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill.  

-I've drawn on that many times in my life. 

15.   Historical destination to visit?

* Someplace I haven't been yet... so I'll take the Pyramids. 

16.   Biggest Wargaming regret?

* That I didn't have a lot of money back in the late 80's... would love to have got a lot of old classic Citadel & Marauder minis, but at the time I was about as poor as one could be. 

17.   Favorite Fantasy job?

* Pay me to travel & write about it! 

18.   Favorite Song, Top 5?

* Again, not in any particular order... 

1.  Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
2.  Baba O'Reily - The Who
3.  I'll Fall With Your Knife - Peter Murphy (see bottom of this blog entry) 
4.  Desert Rose - Sting
5.  Father & Son- Cat Stevens

19.   Favorite Wargaming Moment?

* Maybe 20 years ago now... Thanksgiving, my great friend Bill and I decided to have non-family Thanksgiving. We ordered Pizzas, there was an MST3K marathon on and we played a massive battle of Warhammer on the floor.  Best thanksgiving ever.  

20.   The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

* What doesn't?? ;) 
Well, top of the list....

1. Politicians, Lobbyists, the whole broken corrupt political system. 

2. Modern Media, Political Propaganda that passes as 'news' and the stupid public that cares about and thinks they have the right to know about stupid crap like 'sex scandals' and other meaningless trashertainment that only serves to allow the corrupt system from continuing to abuse and control us. 

3. Rap Music & Rap Culture. I was sure this was a fad in the 80's.  Damn. 
  -oh, and pull your damn pants up, you look like your mom smoked engine coolant when you were in the womb.


5. Smoking.


7. Reality T.V. 

8.  Cold-call sales calls.  I'm sorry you have a shitty job, but not so sorry that I won't be rude to you if you aren't gracious when I say I'm not interested and am going to hang up now. 

9.  Asshole drivers.  Do you really need to endanger my life to get one car length ahead?  Saving yourself 2 seconds of time is not worth the risk of spending months in the hospital for you and others

10.  People who constantly pause in their speech by saying "know what I'm saying?" .. well, I know you're saying "know what I'm saying?" but since that isn't saying anything, no: why don't you actually tell me instead of asking? 

Enjoy! 


11 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Nice one Ferret, loved the Waldorf and Statler quip!! And how right is that. Some great answers, Battlestar Rocks, can't believe Fran's not seen it yet!

The Angry Lurker said...

Brilliant answers and far better than Ray's! but Bad Santa?

Great picture of the muppets, hold on are you saying we're muppets, if so that's okay as we really are those characters, we only stop bickering to pick on others!

Laughing Ferret said...

Bad Santa is awesome. Billy Bob Thorton is hilarious in that- some really great insults& memorable quotes ('is Granny spry?') in that movie. A bit of a Holiday Tradition ...

Waldorf & Statler seemed right.. so which of you is which?

Ray Rousell said...

Fran's the miserable one????

The Angry Lurker said...

I'd have to agree with that!

Dr. Willett's Workshop said...

Military quote is just brilliat, didn't know it!

Unknown said...

Don't encourage them Ferret, they're like fleas, once you get them, you can't get rid of them!

I like your answer about your girlfriend. Shows what a good man you are. Otis, The Who and Sting, I'm with you all the way on those three.

Now do what I did and chuck your telly for good and half the things that piss you off will disappear from your life.

Simon Quinton said...

Some cool answers. I will have a go at this next week. Very entertaining. There is nothing wrong with Orc Mercenaries

Vladdd309 said...

That's, like, a really cool list you've done, you know. Because, you know, there's a few things I'd forgotten off my list... You know what I'm saying?

"Rap. I was sure this was a fad in the 80's" Quality!

Paul O'G said...

Love it! You inspired me to pony up to the challenge as well. Maybe we can goes halves in that Hundred Years War project :-)

Laughing Ferret said...

Anne: if only chucking the TV would actually make the problems go away too ;)

Vladd: ah well, in the 90's I was genuinely confused... Rap seemed to be getting even more popular, and then came rap-rock, and now I'm afraid it's never going away.

Paul: I enjoyed your answers! Toobad the ocean is so big, I'd enjoy doing half a hundred years war project with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...